Briefing on the Situation in Arakan
8th June 2012
At 2:30 p.m. two young Rohingyas who were returning home after Friday prayer from Maungdaw Central Mosque were seriously beaten by police. One of them whose hand was broken was released after sometime while the other who received head injury was still in police custody. His condition is still unknown
- After Friday congregation, at about 2 pm. while a group of Muslims were trying to join a payer at Kayandan Islamic propagation centre (Tabligh Centre) for those 10 Muslims who were murdered by Rakhine extremists at Taunggup on 3 June 2011, the security forces tried to stop them and then started firing at the crowd killing at least two people and injuring many others.
9th June 2012
- Armed security forces with Rakhine extremist equipped with lethal arms were roaming Maungdaw towns and surrounding villages. This morning 4 Rohingyas were carried away from Fayazi village of Maungdaw. Their whereabouts is known.
- According to a report, “Nasaka security forces and police are the killers. The Rakhine extremists joined them and reining hell on Rohingya. Because of the curfew no one dares to go out, and at the absence of witness Rakhine extremists set fire on houses, village after village. If anyone comes out from the fire, he/she gets a bullet or two or more. No witness, no proof. Natala villagers and Rakhine extremists have been supplied guns as well, but no one may prove it. In the mean time, racist monks are busy with media supplying fabricated news. These tragic events have been well planned in advance.”
- At midnight (8/6/12) the Hlun Htein forces from Ngakura village accompanied by the extremists from the Rakhine village of San Oo Rwa (Hatipra) attacked the Rohingya villagers of the same village killing one person injuring 3 others. The dead body was carried away by the killers.
- Last night groups of armed forces with Buddhist Rakhine extremists went to the Rohingya villages. They opened fire to the Muslim houses. When the inmates left their homes the Rakhine extremists set on fire. Many houses in several villagers have been reported burnt into ashes. Many people were killed and several others injured. The villages of Hatalia, Sommonia, Razarbil, Kayandan and San Oo are among those which were attacked.
- Since yesterday the Buddhist monks and Rakhine extremists escorted by security forces were announcing ‘War on Kalas, (war on Rohingyas) along the street of Maungdaw. This message was spread like a wild fire all over Maungdaw and Buthidaung townships.
- Many security forces dressed in civil clothes but with arms are firing the Rohingyas.
- An estimated 100 Rohingyas were killed. As dead bodies were not handed over to the relatives or villagers. Exact number of death could not be confirmed. Some estimate that the number of death could exceed 200 Rohingyas.
- Hundreds of injured Rohingyas are lack of treatment. Thousands of people were deprived of food and water as Police, military, and Hlon Htin block them.
- At about 12: 25 P.M. Deputy Home Minister accompanied by U Aung Zaw Win (USDP- MP) arrived at Maungdaw. They are reportedly discussing with local leaders on the situation. The details of the discussion are still not known.
00.30am-Tensions increased in Arakan according to some sources.
00:35am - Buthidaung Township (16 mile from Maungdaw) : Half an hour ago two boatloads of Rakhine were brought in to the town of Buthidaung from other places under the programme of the authorities.
01:-00 am- In Sittwe, Rakhine in Islamic attire wearing caps were seen roaming in the streets of Akyab trying to pretend Muslims. The following racist Medias are engaged in anti-Rohingya propaganda.
01:30 am - The Akyab Airport Mosque is being burnt .It has been reported that the riot have been supervised by Aung Myat Kyaw an MP at State Parliament. It is reported that the house of one Mohammed Hussein was killed and his house was burnt down. For this destruction, Aung Myat Kyaw is using Aung Tun Sein (Olympic group) and Pho Sein(Danyawadi group) .Another source reported that a mosque in Magyi Myaing Village (1mile from Sittwe Airport) at quarter8 was also destroyed.
Nur Begum from Myi Gyi Myaing village Sittwe was chopped and packed in a Jute bag at Mayu Road. The dead body was said to have been hidden by the police.
03:00 am- Some Rohingya youths were carried away by NaSaKa Border Security Forces. The number of youths was unknown. At least 70 Rohingyas were killed from Myothugyi village (Kaindapara) alone. A total of about 300 Rohingyas were believed to have been killed in the Maungdaw township. It is very hard to ascertain the exact figures as the dead bodies have not been handed over to their relatives or villagers yet.
Popular Rohingya websites were hacked including www.kaladanpress.org and www.rohingya.org
4:00am- Harzamya village from Sittwe was burnt- 13 Rohingyas were shot dead by Police and Paramilitary Forces. 4 injured. Reliable sources said dead bodies were collected and buried.
9:00am- Government ordered to leave all the NGO from Northern Arakan State (confirmed)
09:15 am- Police Officer Than Htin killed innocent one Rohingya girl (Ramzaan- 12yrs ) Rohingya boy (Name –Abdu Rahaman-10yrs ) and her brother injured. Dead body was taken by Paramilitary Forces. 09:30am- Bu May village (Wayalis) ,Sittwe Township is burning till now.